Skip to main content

Featured

Emancipation

I haven't written here in a while, but I'm glad to be back for this entry. These days have been stranger than anything that my generation has ever seen. I really don't want to even name it. If you're reading this, then you already understand. Today, I had two awakenings: one in the morning from the night of rest in my bed, and another in my spirit. I looked at the colors of nature as it presented itself to me. I thought it quite interesting and funny that at a young age we are taught certain standards and benchmarks for identifying the elements of the world around us. Trees and grass are green. The sky is blue. Roses are red. How amazing is it then that I've seen roses that aren't red? I have seen orange, pink, and purple skies. I've seen multicolored trees. There is actually a red tree that I can see from my window. There isn't even a speck of green on it. I believe that you must experience life in order to know it. A book cannot give you what experie

Chapter Two?


"Hey there, web surfers!" was a typical greeting in the introductions of my posts on my old blog. Blue Bean was my very first blog. It was a log of some of the discoveries and observations I'd made in my life when I was just a lass. Well now at the ripe old age of twenty, I've decided to start anew. Blue Bean was and still is very dear to me. It will always hold a special place in my heart. The urge to name this blog "Blue Bean 2.0" was intense. However, for the sake of embracing change whilst honoring the memory, I went with "After The Bean". What do you think? Pretty ingenious, huh?

Twenty. TWENTY. Tweeennntyyyyyy. No matter how many times I say it or how many accents or languages in which I say it, it's still so surreal. My days as a teenager ended less than two weeks ago and I have so many simultaneous emotions and thoughts that I'm not sure I can equally acknowledge them all. Every day, a new one arises. I've witnessed a few people reach my age and step into the golden light of their twenties; breaking free of the leash that was adolescence. They all ran in slow motion toward the setting sun as the credit roll began. Remember back in preschool when you screamed, cried, and grabbed a hold of your mom's leg as the fabric escaped your fingers while she walked out of your classroom door in the mornings? Yeah? Well that's me right now, but with my teen years instead of my mother's leg. Both cases revolve around fears of change and not knowing. To wake up one day and suddenly no longer be what you were for so many years is such a disruption.

Have you read the WikiHow article, "How To Feel When You Turn Twenty"? Oh, you haven't? SPOILER ALERT: It doesn't exist. So to say that I don't know how to feel is pointless. I think that that is true in almost any situation. Why not just allow the feelings to come and go like clouds in the sky? That is what I believe in.  Most people my age were more than delighted to reach their twentieth year for the very obvious reason of being 365 days closer to endless hangovers with less guilt. No need to hide it. You've probably had at least one drink as a underage person. Maybe you're proud of it. Maybe you're ashamed of it. Who knows? Who cares? If there is a reason that I'm glad to be twenty, that is it. I'm grateful.

Gratitude is a quality that is growing with me every day. Since the universe relies on balance, perhaps this post should reflect that. One of the greatest things that I could be grateful for is not only the present, but the simple fact that I am living to experience it. How can one have gratitude for anything if one is not alive? As far as I've concluded, one cannot. So many people never made it to where you and I are in our ages today. Someone's twentieth birthday is today, but they won't ever know it. Despite the fears of my daunting new reality, I truly am happy to be here. Sure; society expects me to fulfill several different tasks and hit specific "standard" checkpoints during this decade of my life. Sure. I don't want to adhere to society's standards. Just because certain ages happen to be the times when a lot of  people do certain things doesn't mean that it is automatically a mistake to not.

Have you ever heard someone say, "By the time you're ___ years old you should be..."? Sometimes I contemplate why these standards exist. I often ask myself, "Who made these standards?!" Who can really define "the right way"? If I go on like this, then this post will be way too long. Maybe I'll carry on in a separate post on another day. So let me get to a conclusion.

This is Chapter Two in the book that is my life. When I read a novel, I'm always glad when I reach the second chapter because at that point, the story really begins. You may be able to Google and find the synopsis or summary of a book, but you you can't Google life. There is no Wikipedia article which will tell you your future in the "Plot" drop-down section. I don't know what lies ahead, but all I can do is continue turning the pages. That's the only way to find out. Perhaps the best thing about this book is that you and I get to write parts of it. I'm writing in your book and in my book in this moment. Let's keep reading.


I'm still Indigo. Goodnight.

Comments

  1. Great blog post, I'm glad you're enjoying 20. I like your writing style and look forward to more blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dominique! I appreciate your feedback. There are many more posts to come! :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome!! I like your style of literature, this blog post is very relatable to turning of age great work Indigo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very glad that you found it to be relatable! Come back soon! :)

      Delete
  3. Cool blog. Interesting points. Look forward to reading more in the future:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for reading! I'm very glad that you're enjoying it. I hope that you find my future content to be just as appealing!

      Smiles,

      Indigo

      Delete
  4. Such a pleasant and wonderful blog, I'm looking forward to reading more. Keep of the great work Indigo, you have such a great talent in writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the complement. There will be more coming your way!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts